Friday 14 October 2016

Shoot Seven - Work Diary

The sky, and clouds were the focus for this shoot, Stieglitz inspired me with his images of clouds, whereby he captures their movement and patterns in the sky. This shoot was a progression on from my shoot number 3, whereby I explored clouds and their movement/patterns again influenced by Stieglitz. Within my images for this shoot I wanted to capture the bright colours within the sky, in order to encourage people to appreciate the beauty above them (the sky), moreover the sky and clouds are above us, it symbolises that nature is above us all. The colours of the sky I believe show the sky's emotion and feelings in the moment whereby the image was captured.  


Best image of this shoot:


Stieglitz's cloud studies influenced me to photograph the sky, I used colour in my image in contrast to Stieglitz who only used black and white tones. Moreover, in my image I do not focus on one cloud (like my shoot 3), but the whole sky in order to show the variety within the clouds and colour in one area of sky. The black building silhouettes, and the street light outline fit into the image well, as you cannot see the details on the objects, but it's evident to the viewer what they are. The orange, and purple tones of the sky make the sky appear as though it's bruised, implying it has been harmed and needs to be cared for, this links to the idea of the hole which is growing in the ozone layer, due to pollution. The clouds are above us all, and dominate the skyline, these objects are almost god-like as they are supreme, and hierarchically above all of us humans; moreover, due to their position in the sky they look down on us all, implying that they see everything we do. In this image you can see a line cutting diagonally through the centre of the image, this line is the mark a plane has left in the clouds, this mark is significant as it symbolises how man-made objects can scar/effect nature, as shown here by the mark of the line being left in the clouds, even though the plane is long gone. 


Worst image of this shoot:

The above image is my worst form this shoo due to the harsh colouring or the orange within the sky, making it look unrealistic. Although I do like how the silhouette of the tree suggests that it's lost its identity, meanwhile the sky burns a bright orange in the background- this suggests to the viewer that God may be angry, as God is thought to be in the sky, therefore by the sky being this colour it suggests that this may reflect God's emotions. Despite this, the overall image appears fake which I do not like, I only admire the connotations to this image not the denotations. If I was to reshoot this image I would possibly edit this image in photoshop and lower the saturation of the orange tinted clouds, moreover I would ensure there was more than one tree in this image. I shot my image on the following camera settings: ISO- 200, F- 8, and a shutter speed of 1/15. 

No comments:

Post a Comment