Thursday 6 October 2016

Low Key Beauty - Work Diary

In today's lesson we explored low key beauty lighting, using coloured gels over the back/clip studio lights in order to gain colour within our images, the colours we used were blue, and orange. I enjoyed shooting with colour as we have never used gels in lesson previously, in today's shoot the lighting settings of each studio light was F 11 for the back/clip lights, F 8.8 for the key light, also known as the beauty dish, and an F stop of 8.5 for the fill light.
I had previously explore low key lighting at AS, therefore I had some understanding of the technique already, however I felt in today's lesson I built upon this technique. 
The equipment I used in today's shoot is as follows: a key light, a beauty dish, a diffusion shock, honeycomb, back/clip lights, a tripod, a camera, a light meter and a subject to shoot.
All of my images were shot on the same camera settings as we used the light meter in order to help us set our camera settings, the camera settings for all of my images was ISO 200, an F stop of 8, and a shutter speed of 1/125. 


Below is a lighting diagram of the studio set up I used on this shoot, combining with an actual photograph of the studio set up also:





Best image of today's shoot:


This image is my best of the day, as I have captured the most colour within this photo. I like how my subject is standing as I believe this effectively captures the blue colouring from the gel on her back, contrastingly the red colouring on her front. The contrast of the two colours is something which I explored in my image bank, I like how the two colours contrast insinuating warm, and cold temperatures. Moreover, the shadowing on the individual's collar bone, arms, and neck highlights to the low key lighting technique, I believe the shadows are in good proportion to the coloured areas in this image. I photographed this image on the camera settings of ISO 200, an f stop of 8 and a shutter speed of 1/125, I used the light meter to help me decide on my camera settings, I believe these camera settings were perfect as I am happy with the out come of my images, I slightly edited some of my images on photoshop, adjusting the curves slightly in order to perfect the contrast of the shadows, and coloured areas. 


Worst image of today's shoot:


I believe this is my worst photograph of the day as I don't believe there'e enough lighting in this image, although you can see the colours it's too dark overall. I used the same camera settings as the image above (ISO 200, and f stop of 8, and a shutter speed of 1/125) therefore I do not know why this image is darker than my others, however I believe this may be due to the subject in this image having darker hair, and wearing a black hoodie, which made it harder for the individual to stand out from the black background. In addition, the individual's hair smothers her face, meaning you cannot see much of her face- I should have informed my subject to push her hair off her face more. 



Progression:
I will not use this technique on my shoot as I'm of using on nature, not people. I would not be able to use this techniques on flowers, as it wouldn't demonstrate my aims for my nature project. 
If I was to reshoot this shoot again I would ensure I instructed my subjects correctly, considering exactly how I wanted the outcome of my images to be; despite this overall I'm pleased with my shoot as a whole. 


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete