Thursday 12 January 2017

Shoot Thirteen - Work Diary

In this shoot I wanted to further explore macro photography through looking at organic objects, however in this shoot I wanted to progress my work by looking at rotting fruit, I used the same fruit I used in my shoot number 12, to investigate how fruit would look once it had turned mouldy. I believe that by looking at the fruits once they had started to decay would adds the connotation of death to the images, and it would allow me to explore the organic objects in various forms (alive and decaying.) Nadege Meriau was an inspiration fro this shoot, as her images are often dark, and hellish which create the connotation of death likewise to what I wanted to create within my images for this shoot.
The objects I used in order to conduct my shoot are as follows: a pomegranate to photograph, a reflector dish to project light onto the front of the object, a camera to photograph the images, a tripod to keep my camera still, a table to place the object on, a light reflector to reflect light back onto the object, a black back drop to enhance the low key lighting, a reflector dish to attach to my studio light, a light meter to record the lighting settings I would need on my camera and lastly a knife to cut open the object itself. 



My best image of this shoot:

This photograph is my most effective of the shoot as it's extremely ambiguous, and dark representing death and decay. The darkness of the image amplifies the connotation of death, as the viewer cannot see the whole of the image; despite this what the viewer can see is thick green mould which is surrounding and suffocating the object (pomegranate.) The connotation of death shows how even organic objects have life, and live likewise to us, therefore this creates an uneasy feel in the viewer when the pomegranate appears to be decaying, like a corpse would when an individual has passed away. Moreover, the arch-like shape of the object symbolises an arch to hell, as this corresponds to the connotation of death. I shot this photograph on the camera settings of ISO 200, F 32, and a shutter speed of 1/250. My high aperture allowed me to have all of the object in focus, giving me a wide depth of field, in comparison to a lower aperture which would have resulted in a narrow depth of field.

My worst image of this shoot:

This photograph is my worst image of this shoot, as it's extremely dark, resulting in there not being as much detail as I would have liked within the image. Moreover, due to the darkness of the image it's completely impossible to deduce any connotations from this, as the viewer can barely see anything to deduce this from. If I was to reshoot this photograph I would have moved my studio lights to focus more onto the inside of the image in order to brighten up this image, and obtain more detail from within the image. Furthermore, I would have shot this photograph at a different angle, from above looking down into the inside of the pomegranate, so that none of the skin from the outside would be in focus. 


Studio Equipment:

Snoot- a tube object which fits over a light in order to allow the photographer to control the direction of the light more precisely.

Reflector dish- a reflective surface which fits over a studio light, and is used to project light onto the object.


Tripod-  a stand which holds a camera on top, in order to keep the camera still to prevent any blur that may be caused. 


No comments:

Post a Comment