Thursday 5 January 2017

Connecting Essay 3

·       Connecting Essay:

This photograph was part of my shoot number three, which I shot outside around my home town of Waltham Abbey. I photographed this image on the following camera settings: ISO 280, F 8, and a shutter speed of 1/250, I believe my aperture combined with my shutter speed allowed an effective amount of light into the lens, enough so that the image wasn't too overexposed or too dark. I believe that clouds portray an individual's emotions, therefore the slightly faded outline of these clouds suggests confusion, as the clouds are not crisp and clear. I shot this image using an upwards angle, symbolising that the sky is superior to us as it's above us. Individuals often look up to the sky when they look for faith from God, this is represented within my shoot due to the angle which I photographed my image. 

The above image was photographed by Stieglitz. The black and white colouring within this image highlights the various tones of grey and white that make up this photograph; this particular colouring also creates a more sinister tone within the image as clouds are often associated with bright blue summer skies, therefore this image goes against the viewers expected perception. The clouds are slightly curved which therefore takes your eyes on a journey within the photograph, downwards to the bottom left hand corner of the image. The clouds appear jealous in my opinion, as they are reasonably calm on the surface; however, if you look closely they have slightly jagged edges implying that there's underlying anger within these clouds.

I chose to compare mine and Stieglitz's images as they are both images of clouds, despite my photograph being in colour whereas Stieglitz's image is in black and white both the images imply a darker meaning due to the ambiguous shapes of the clouds. The clouds in my photograph appear to be more calm than the ones in Stieglitz's image, this symbolises a personality difference between me and him, this may suggest I am a calmer person than he is, due to the shape of the clouds themselves. The slightly jagged edges of Stieglitz's clouds imply there's hidden anger, whereas all of the clouds within my frame are calm and fade gracefully into one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment