Tuesday 20 September 2016

Slow Sync - Work Diary

In today's lesson we were given the task of shooting slow sync images in the studio, we had to set up the lighting in the studio ourselves. I enjoyed shooting these images as I found it interesting seeing how the movement is trailed behind in orange shadows. I am happy with the outcome of my images, and I enjoyed the lesson overall, it made a change to be in the studio again.
The equipment I used for this shoot included: a light meter to help us set the camera settings, a tripod to keep the frame of the photo still, studio lights to get an effective 'flash' and lighting, and a subject to photography. 


Best Image from today:

ISO- 200
F- 5.6
Shutter speed- 1.6s

This image is my best one of the day, I made my subject dance, and you can see his previous position clearly before his new one, this shows the technique of 'slow sync' effectively as you can clearly see movement. I was able to capture the orange shadow in this image fundamentally due to the flash, and the slow shutter speed of 1.6s, additionally the black background enhanced this, and my subjects orange top jumps out from the background. 


Worst Image from today:

ISO- 200
F- 5.6
Shutter speed- 1.6s

This is my worst image of the day, as you can see the studio surroundings, also the subject is not properly in the frame, as the top of their head is cut out. The technique is also not explored effectively as there isn't much movement shown, therefore this doesn't meet the lessons objective. Moreover, I didn't inform my subject that I was about to take their photo, which is why they also look unprepared. 

Progression:
Although I enjoyed experimenting with this technique I would not use this in my project, as I do not think it would work effectively with my 'nature' theme, and due top my shoots being documentary photography I would not like to base many of my shoots in the studio, as my theme is 'nature' I wish to be outside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment