Monday 12 September 2016

Location Portraiture - Work Diary

In today's lesson our task was to photograph 5 different images in 5 different locations, in the style of Alec Soth's image 'from here to there'. We had to ensure both the individual in the image, and the background were considered.
A tripod was essential for us to use in today's lesson as this allowed for no camera movement, and it ensured we got a sharp focus on the eyes of the individual. We were encouraged to form a relationship with the individuals we we're photographing, so they felt at ease. 

Best Image:

This is my best image of the day due to the fact it's evident I built a relationship with the individual as they're smiling and at ease. I also like how the subject is in the middle of the building in the background, this image gives off an urban feel overall as the building and walls are dirty, and dark. The lines on the building in the background are straight in my image, I ensured they were straight in order to get a cleaner overall look. The shutter speed I used was 1/200, with an F stop of 13 and an ISO of 400. I used a fast shutter speed (1/200) so I could capture the majority of the image in focus, with the eyes vital to this.
Moreover, I like the colours in my image as the yellow stands out slightly compared to the washed out browns and reds. 

Worst Image:

This is my worst photograph of the day, as I used the wrong camera settings which caused the image to be greatly over-exposed. The reasoning behind me using the wrong camera settings initially is because we were initially inside in a darker area, therefore when we came outside the F stop needed to be increased. I shot this image on the camera settings ISO- 400, F- 5.6, and a shutter speed of- 1/200. The F stop is extremely low, I later increased this to F stop 13 which suited the lighting situation much better (as shown in my best image of the day, which was too shot on F stop 13.) I like the positioning of the individual, and the colouring of their jet black jacket, the only thing which brings down the quality of my image is the incorrect camera settings, resulting in over-exposure. 


Progression:
For my personal project I would consider using the technique of location portraiture, as I could photograph different people in different environments; these could include build-up city areas, or country-side landscapes. 
If I was to shoot any of my images again I would ensure I adjusted my camera settings when changing from different environments, to ensure I didn't get an over-exposed, or an under-exposed image again. 





1 comment: