Tuesday 20 September 2016

Blur - Work Diary

In today's lesson we were given the task of photographing images in the style of Klein, in order to explore the technique of 'blur'. I didn't like photographing this technique as I felt it made images appear 'untidy', and you couldn't prepare for what your outcomes would have been, as it was random. I experimented with various shutter speeds in order to gage which would be the best, as some were too quick (1/30), whereas others were too slow (4"). In all of my images I used a tripod to minimise any movement within the frame of the image, allowing me to focus on the subjects, in order to reduce the chances of any distortion occurring.


Best image from today:

ISO- 400
F- 29
Shutter speed- 1/20

This is my best photograph I took today, as I have an individual in focus, and one blurred slightly (likewise to Klein's image in my definition post for blur.) This image intrigues me as the subject in focus is looking away, into the distance implying he's thinking as he is not moving, whereas the lady behind is rushing past and he isn't paying any attention to this. Its evident I used a tripod to capture this image, as there's no movement from the frame, this was also due to my shutter speed of 1/20. The blur of the lady is in the centre of the image, this therefore draws your eyes into the image and allows you to focus solely on this. 



Worst image from today:

ISO-200
F- 25
Shutter speed- 1/10

This is my worst image of the day, as although blur is evident it doesn't seem as though I knew whether to capture just the movement of the feet, or the whole individuals. I like the idea of the effect of the wheels moving, however in this image you can't se any precise motion from them, it's mainly just the man who is blurred. Moreover, I do not like the background in this image as it appears to clutter the image too much which takes your focus of the blur technique. 

Progression: 
I would not use this technique in the project, as I do not believe I could incorporate this into my theme of 'nature'. I also do not like blurred images as they appear untidy and messy, I prefer crisp images with wide depths of field. 
If I was to reshoot my images again I would not go into Harlow town, I would perhaps go to a forest and shoot leaves falling, as I believe this would work better than merely taking images of peoples feet moving. 



No comments:

Post a Comment