Tuesday 22 November 2016

Mid-Project Evaluation


The shoots that I believe were most successful where shoot numbers 4, 6 and 7. 
In shoot number 4 I took inspiration from Nadege Meriau and shot images of a pepper in the studio, using a macro camera. I believe this shoot was a success as in my images the viewer cannot tell what the object is I am photographing. I enjoyed constructing and framing this shoot, as I usually do not work in the studio, however I thoroughly enjoyed setting up the lighting and experimenting with this. 
Shoot number 6 was inspired heavily from the photographer, and environmentalist Ansel Adams; I took inspiration from Adam's black and white landscape images of America, and photographed British landscapes- in order to portray their beauty and campaign for its preservation through controlling pollution, and global warming. In Adam's images he uses the dodge and burn tool to highlight and exaggerate the contrast within his images. 
Shoot number 7 was inspired by Steiglitz's cloud studies. I took interest in Steiglitz's work as he explores the patterns, and movement of clouds within his still images; I explored this concept in my shoot 7. Unlike Steiglitz I had colour within my images; the colours were a huge aspect of my photographs as I believe they reflect the feelings of the sky, Steiglitz couldn't do this when he was photographing his work as he only had access to black and white cameras. 

My overall idea has changed within this project, going forward my shoots will be focused more on landscapes, and macro photography influenced by Ansel Adams, and Nadege Meriau. I believe that by focusing more on two sub-headings of 'nature' it will allow me to make my shoots more concise, and focused, whereas otherwise I wouldn't have a clear aim. In addition, I enjoy shooting these images, as I can experiment with different frames and focal lengths. The two concepts of landscapes, and macro photography work together as landscape images are usually wide frames and far away images, contrasting macro photography which involves being close to the object- I feel this will give me a deeper insight into the concept of 'nature', by exploring organic objects/environments close-up and far away from a distance. Initially, my idea was to use documentary photography to capture/explore the theme of 'nature', however this has developed into the two sub-headings of macro, and landscape photography, my initial idea was to broad, whereas now I feel I have honed in on my aims for my project. 

I believe that my work needs to be improved most by expanding the meanings behind my images, and developing this accordingly. For example my shoot number one is quite weak, as there is not a deep meaning, or analysis behind the images; in comparison to my shoot number four which explores organic objects using a macro lens, creating abstract and surreal images. I would also like to develop my studio knowledge, and enhance my knowledge of the different lights within the studio, and how I can use these to improve my work. Moreover, I will also experiment more on the computer using photoshop and using physical experiments within my work, to explore how I can adapt my images further. 

For future shoots I will explore macro photography in the studio in the style of Nadege Meriau, this will involve me creating a scene (e.g. a cave) using other organic objects. I would like to use a watermelon (or a similar fruit), likewise to Meriau and shoot inside the object, by creating a hole and shooting inside, not from the outside. 
I will also travel around my local area and shoot images of various lush British landscapes, in order to champion it's preservation. I will shoot in various locations including Epping Forest and the river lea; these areas are full of organic objects, and nature therefore I will aim to show its beauty through my images, which will then hopefully encourage people to think about pollution and deforestation. 

1 comment:

  1. a good mid project evaluation... as discussed with you please work on a series of shoots where the images you get can be used together as a series.. Yes you should be focussing on location based in the style of either A. Adams or skycapes (steichen) You need to assemble a strong body of work, your research is of a high standard, you now need to focus on the photography which we have discussed previously.

    ReplyDelete